Sierra de La Cabrera
The municipality of La Cabrera is located at the foot of the Sierra of the same name, "Singular Landscape", in relation to their peculiar granitic formations. Granite presented here across a sample of particular forms: crests, pedrizas, collados, TORs, domes, etc.
It is known that this town was located in No Man's Land during the Muslim occupation, so it was unpopulated during that time, and will not begin its establishment as a population until the Reconquest. Later it would belong to the Lordship of Buitrago until the year 1833, where it will become part of the province of Madrid. Thanks to its location and livestock and agriculture as its main economic engine, La Cabrera has always been an important communication route.
The importance of the geological and archaeological environment adds the valuable cultural environment with various items of interest. Of all of them, the convent of San Antonio is considered a jewel of the heritage of the Sierra Norte. It is an ancient Benedictine cenobio from the 11th century, subsequently converted into Franciscan convent (s. XIV). In the so-called "Cancho Gordo", Neolithic remains from the stone age have been located above the convent of San Antonio, as arrowheads, scrapers, etc.
Next to the convent of San Antonio, the "head Hill" is located, where have been found remains of an ancient likely celtiberian settlement of carpetano origin. And, Finally, a Medieval Christian Necropolis "The Tomb of the Moor", located next to the Hill of the head.
TOURIST OFFICEMunicipality information
Altitude: 1.026 m
Nº people: 2.613 (data INE 2018)Location