The Jarama Valley
Torremocha de Jarama
Torremocha del Jarama es un municipio marcado por la presencia constante del agua, through the river Jarama and the arroyo de San Román. The term is also traveled, north to south, by the old Cabarrús channel and by fragments of other more recent channels, such as Upper Jarama and Atazar. The terrain is practically flat, but with slight ripples, and produces excellent cereal crops, vineyards and olive groves. The fertile vega of the Jarama hosts irrigated orchards and its margins have a great landscape interest in the beautiful riverside trees. Torremocha's physiognomy remains rural; lands irrigated by the Jarama River and the Elizabeth II Canal and a well-preserved urban ensemble.
Its origins come from the Roman Empire. After the Reconquest the town was only houses located around a 13th-century hermitage and a tower of an ancient fortress. Initially these lands belonged to the Crown of Castile until in 1249 delivered to Uceda, which will no longer depend on 1841. Then, in the 14th century, the territory begins to gain importance as it is formed its own council.
At the end of the 18th century, Torremocha is part of the construction projects of the Carrabús Canal. However, with the opening of the Elizabeth II Canal in 1858, it ceases to matter and forces it to move to dryland.
Before this, it is worth mentioning that the municipality is drowned by the Napoleonic forces in 1813, which almost meant its destruction. The territory becomes part of the province of Madrid with the administrative reform of 1833.
Of this municipality we can highlight among other heritages the Church of San Pedro, which was originally an early Middle Ages hermitage converted into a Church from 1556.
¡Descubre con Sierra Norte de Madrid the peoples of Madrid!