Route of Contemporary Art in the Sierra Norte de Madrid
The Sierra Norte de Madrid is, And it's been, the home of contemporary creators who have found inspiration in the peace of their valleys and rivers, and the affection of their peoples. The works of some of them are true treasures that you have the opportunity to admire in rooms and museums scattered throughout our orography, and that we invite you to visit through this route.
Discover the remnants of the battles
1. Our first stop is the Fundación Berrutti, Located in the Sierra de la Cabrera, at the entrance of the village of Valdemanco. Es a space in which painting, sculpture, ceramics and engraving coexist with nature in complete symbiosis, where you can get to know Luis' works Berrutti and his partner Charo Villa. Enjoy them and the explanation by these artists, who will put all their enthusiasm into opening the doors of their creation, an amazing place that already, from the road itself, you'll find it different and you'll want to stop by. Visits upon reservation with the Foundation, and workshops and visits for children in the617 38 16 80–686 565186. In the 10.00 to 17.00 h, Monday to Sunday.
2. Some 24 Km north, there's our next stop: the Picasso Museum in Buitrago del Lozoya. It houses a collection of works that Pablo Picasso gave to his barber and friend, Eugenio Arias, who gave them to his homeland, Buitrago. We propose you to admire this treasure of the Malaga painter in a medieval villa in the heart of the Alto del Lozoya Valley... you shouldn't miss it. In addition, the museum houses temporary exhibitions of the painter brought from centres such as the Musée national Picasso de Paris. Visits: from Tuesday to Friday: of 11:00 to 13:45 and 16:00 to 18:00 h. Saturdays: of 10:00 to 14:00 and 16:00 to 19:00 h. Sunday and public holidays: of 10:00 to 14:00 hours.
3. The Vargas Museum, in Horcajuelo de la Sierra, is another of the key points of art in our mountain range, dedicated to the work of Ramón de Vargas (Vizcaya, 1934). Painting, photography, Sculpture... are some of the arts of Of Vargas, whose work has a very personal and dramatic style, that won't go unnoticed in your eyes. We recommend that you take a walk in this small town, whose cottages reflect the traditional architecture of the area. In addition, is located in the Sierra del Rincón, a unique natural enclave declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO. Open Wednesday to Friday: of 9.30 to 14.30 h, Saturdays and Sundays: of 10:00 to 18:00 h. The tour is guided and free.
4. We continue to travel through the Sierra del Rincón and move to the Valley of Dreams, in Puebla de la Sierra. This sculpture museum moves the art of museums and cities outdoors, for everyone's enjoyment. Ismael Delgado, M ª Sol Revenga and Feliz Gala are some of the sculptors who have participated in this dreamlike artistic ensemble between mountains and fields, with works like the giant chair brought from Mount Meira, in Galicia. To visit, leave the car in the village and walk through its streets to the Valley. Consultations with the Tourist Office: 91 869 72 54 o email@example.com.
5. To complete our "tasting" of the art of the Sierra Norte de Madrid, we'll move to Oteruelo del Valle, at the beginning of the Lozoya. At the entrance of the village, we found the Luis Room Shave, that delights us with an exhibition of Louis' most representative work Shave (1929, Madrid), mainly recorded. This artist's family and childhood relationship with the village led him to donate his works to local neighbors. Visits from Monday to Sunday 10 to 14 h; Friday and Saturday 17 to 19 h. Pre-booking with the Rascafría Tourist Office. Contact: 918 691 804.