Sierra del Rincón
Pradena del Rincon
The municipality of Pradena del Rincon, It is located northeast of the community of Madrid, within the so-called Sierra del Rincón, classified as a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO. It has a very bumpy orography especially in the eastern area where the hills of Porrejón rise, Portezuela and Peña de la Cabra. To the west the terrain is less abrupt, opening a small valley closed by the Pico de la Dehesilla. The main river course is the Nava River, formed by the inputs of the different streams that pour from the mountains.
The nucleus sits on a gently sloping hill towards the creek of the Garita. Housing, clearly rural in nature, mingle with agricultural constructions leaving large free spaces inside the apples. The center of the settlement is articulated between the Town Hall Square and that of the Church.
It is not known exactly the date of its origin but its first mention was at the Fuero de Sepulveda of the year 1076. Alfonso VI authorized its repopulation years later, also giving him a coat of arms (with a bull, a holm oak and the phrase "Ad alenda Pecora", which means "for the livelihood of livestock") highlighting his important livestock work.
Among the most outstanding heritage of Prádena, is the Parish Church of Santo Domingo de Silos of the 13th century, whose construction should have coincided with the early days of the repopulation period.