Middle of the Lozoya valley
La Serna del Monte
La Serna del Monte is situated on a relatively flat terrain, on the southern slope of the Sierra de Guadarrama. It is a small term of form elongated with abundant grasses mixed with the indigenous oak forest and small areas of holm oaks and junipers. Numerous and important livestock routes cross La Serna from northeast to South: The Cañada Real Segovia, La Cañada de Merino, the string of the pools and the sidewalk of the cemetery.
It originated with the reconquest of the 11th century, When people of Sepulveda and Buitrago moved to this area. To build the Hermitage of San Andrés, La Serna asked ecclesiastical independence and, years later, the civil. It was not until 1766 the municipality acquired the same singular identity as Braojos, integrated into the land of Buitrago even 1812.
With regard to the heritage we must highlight the ancient church which only the floor of a single nave and the belfry remains. La Serna conserves good examples of traditional architecture, with housing and agricultural elements that make up a singular set.